Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How do I create?

After the first blog entry comes the pressure of the second. What to write about that hopefully somebody will find interesting. Everybody likes to talk about the "creative process"; that phrase makes me laugh because I'm still not comfortable calling myself an artist or a creative person. Perhaps its the complex I developed as a child believing my brother was the only creative one.

But let's get down to the question at hand, how do I create? I'm not a planner. I don't sketch out a design or plan on making a necklace that looks like THIS. Usually I open the drawers of my gems, beads, and glass and just look over my collection until something catches my eye. Then I pull it out of my drawer. Fondling of the beads is involved. The beads have to talk to me. If they don't talk loud enough back into the drawer they go. This process goes on until something finally speaks to me. Then I start pulling out combinations until I feel content. After that the creation just appears and I keep working until I am satisfied. Sometimes I am never satisfied and back into the drawer it all goes and I start all over again.

Other times images flash to me of a creation. This usually happens in the shower or yes, in the middle of typing this blog entry. It will be interesting to see if I can create the seed bead bib necklace that came to me while typing this blog posting. It will have to wait though until I finish other pending projects.

Next posting will be about some new kumihimo projects I am working on with unique Czech glass. I am very excited about them.


www.designedbyval.etsy.com

2 comments:

  1. My process is very similar. Inspiration comes at different times, and often when I look at my supplies (or when I'm in a bead shop and see something interesting). Looking forward to seeing your new projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to that, Val. Most of my stuff sort of makes itself! Inspiration is a funny thing and it can strike at any time.

    ReplyDelete